Burns High School - Historical Information
Burns High School - Elementary School - Lincoln Junior High School
550 North Court Avenue
A wooden school house was built near this site in 1895, where elementary students attended school until 1912, and then high school students.
The present building at 550 North Court Ave. was built by C. E. Sibaugh in 1928 at a cost of $80,000. The building was constructed of native brick from a brickyard in Burns. Classes began here in January of 1929. In 1930, 150 students were enrolled.
In 1955, a bond was passed to build a new high school.
In 1960, high school students moved to a new building at 1100 Oregon Avenue where enrollment was at 300 students. The old building was used by the courthouse while that building was being repaired.
In 1964, a bond of $199,912 was passed to renovate the building. The building was renovated and seventh and eighth graders moved into the building in 1965. It was renamed Lincoln Junior High.
In 1971, seventh and eighth graders from Hines joined the Burns students. Enrollment that year was 352.
In 1975 enrollment at Lincoln Junior High grew to 380 students with the peak of the timber industry.
By 1990, enrollment had dropped to 200 students and remained at about that many students until 2003.
An elevator was added in 1995 at the cost of about $150,000.
In 2003, the seventh graders moved to Hines Middle school and the District offices were moved to the building. The next year, the eighth graders also moved to Hines.
In September 2021 the district office personnel will move out of the "Lincoln Building". The board is determining what the next steps are with this building.